Spidey's Jazz Hands Get Shut Down
By Noah Michelson
But with a ballooning budget of over $40 million, the production of the musical was put on hold and the actors have been released from their contracts. The producers insist that once more money is acquired, the production will continue moving towards its February 2010 opening, but with the actors set free, it looks as if jazz hands Spidey is looking less and less like a possibility.
While many dreams are squashed with this announcement, the one I was already indulging in was seeing Neil Patrick Harris descend from the ceiling of Radio City Music Hall at next year's Tonys dressed head to toe in Spidey spandex (NPH already voiced Spidey for Spider-Man: The New Animated Series on MTV (see the above video).
Spidey choreographed dance numbers and NPH cameos may all be awash now, but who knows, maybe Disney can now funnel some money into the flailing Broadway production, and we may yet see Peter Parker singing a duet with Liza at next year's Tonys, but until then readers can flip through old Spider-Man back issues and dream of an arachna love that never was.
-- CHRISTOPHER RUDOLPH
Previously > The Lair Gets Inked
- The 30 Sexiest Gay Scenes In Film
- Dealing in Dallas: Jared Leto on Playing a transgender, HIV-positive crusader
- Exclusive: Behind the Scenes Footage of 2(X)IST’s Spring/Summer 2014 Collection
- Panti Bliss: The Drag Queen Who Rocked Ireland Soaks In the Aftermath
- Adam Lambert to Queen Out This Summer With Brian May & Roger Taylor
- Out Exclusives - Gay People, Actors, Breaking News