The Teen Choice Awards Gets Fab-u-lous!
By Noah Michelson
Who would have ever thought we'd come so far that the Teen Choice Awards would create a new category specifically for favorite gay male celebrity aka The Fab-u-lous Award? Certainly not us. But it definitely points towards progress being made in the mainstream when Queer Eye For The Straight Guy's Carson Kressley, Ugly Betty's Michael Urie, Entourage's Rex Lee, Perez Hilton, and America's Next Top Model judge Miss J Alexander are nominated and voted on by thousands of teens simply for being gay -- and fabulous. (We bristle a bit at the idea of gay men being portrayed as merely fluffy, funny, stylish play things but we can also appreciate the fact that at this stage of the game, visibility is still vital.)
Miss J ended up winning and after sashaying to the podium he dedicated the award to "every single gay, lesbian, transgender and bisexual teenager throughout the nation" and promised that the award would be shared by all of them along with him thereby making them "just as fierce as me! Bam!" Bam, indeed.
Previously > America's Best Dance Crew's Gay Group Works It
- WATCH: The First Trailer For HBO's Adaptation Of 'The Normal Heart'
- Scott Bakula, Looking's Gay Daddy, Talks About Quantum Leap & His Favorite Flower
- Straight Actor Raúl Castillo Plays Richie on Looking: He Talks About the New HBO Series
- The 30 Sexiest Gay Scenes In Film
- Spectrum: 14 Queer Models
- The 15 Sexiest Red-Haired Men