Will the Real Brüno Please Stand Up?
By Jessanne Collins
Photo: Getty Images
With Brüno's immaculately highlighted coiffure waxing over the cultural horizon, astute pop phenomena analysts are busy scouring Austria for its greatest, gayest countrymen, hoping to unearth the source of Sacha Baron Cohen's inspiration. Lo and behold, they've found a couple of contenders, both of whom are taking their comparison to the controversial caricature-character in stride. Enjoying most of the limelight is ubiquitous television personality, cabaret star, and multi-media performer Alfons Haider (above) who tells People "I only have four things in common with Brüno: I'm a man, an Austrian,
I'm on television, and I'm gay -- that's it. But if the world wants me
to be the inspiration for Brüno, well then, I'll be Brüno. It's all
But then there's also Adi Weiss,
a 33-year-old fashion journalist based in Vienna, who insists that he's
"the most down-to-earth fashion journalist you'll ever meet" but jokes
that he could use the publicity for an unfortunately fictitious show called
Miss Fluffy. We're not ones to trump up a battle of the would-be Brünos -- there's plenty of love for gay Austrians to go around -- but we have to hand it to Haider when he concedes "I'm a bit of a bitch like Brüno ... I always make sure I get that interview."
Previously > Madame Tussauds New York celebrates Pride
READER COMMENTS (
- EastSiders Web Series Lands A Satellite Award Nomination
- The pill Truvada can prevent HIV: So why are so few gay men taking it?
- Croatia Proves Why It Has The Hottest Men's Water Polo Team
- Quote of the Day: Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional
- The Battle of amfAR: How Liz Taylor Tricked Reagan Into Talking About AIDS
- Gay Men's Chorus Performs Parody of Joe Boxer Christmas Ad