Out.com Fashion Advice: Tie One On!
By Nick Burns
noticed a lot of bowties showing up in stores like Club Monaco lately.
Are they back in style or are these stores just reaching out to older
years of skinny ties and mod style, designers like Ralph Lauren, Etro,
Paul Smith, Thom Browne and Band of Outsiders all featured bowties in
their spring runway presentations. But the nerdy-chic classic isn’t
reserved for math geeks and history professors, it’s making inroads
among younger, trendy guys.
If you want to give the nerdy-prep-school look a shot, pick up a solid
bowtie and pair it with a button down shirt and a light-weight spring
cardigan, v-neck sweater or vest. If you are feeling particularly
brave, tie on some bolder patterns and colors. But do yourself a favor
and avoid the pre-tied clip-on. If you’re man enough to work a bowtie,
you can figure out how to tie the thing properly or you’ll go from
nerdy-chic to plain geek.
- WATCH: Oscar Isaac Performs Folk Version of Katy Perry's 'Roar'
- Decorate Your Christmas Tree With Shirtless Mermen Ornaments
- A Pope is Person of the Year: Edie Windsor is No. 3
- Six By Sondheim: James Lapine Directs HBO Doc
- WATCH: Detox, Willam and Vicky Vox Sing Naughty Christmas Song
- 19th Annual Out100