Has Our Queer Eye Gone Blind?
By Nick Burns
Photo: Getty Images
Are gay men still the fashion trend-setters of the world? An article in the June/July issue of Details magazine (the gayest straight magazine of the U.S.) says, No! But what do you think? Have gay men ruined their reputation as fashion compasses of tomorrow's styles?
While I would like to think that control of the fashion industry will stay, well...in the family as long as the Dolce & Gabbanas of the world make amazing clothes, it's true that many gay men aren't so concerned with fashion or the latest trends.
Details makes some points worth mentioning:
The story criticizes the popularity of William Sledd's "Ask a Gay Man" fashion advice videos on YouTube that have apparently landed Sledd a TV career. Details asks, "What makes him a style
expert—besides the fact that he's gay?"
Even Isaac Mizrahi, fashion designer and red-carpet investigative journalist, is quoted as saying, "Schooling and exposure determine your ability to say what looks good
and what doesn't look good, not your sexual preference. It's like saying all black people have rhythm."
Is the belief that all gay men are fashionable a poor generalization or are gay men just ahead of the times? You decide!
- WATCH: The First Trailer For HBO's Adaptation Of 'The Normal Heart'
- Scott Bakula, Looking's Gay Daddy, Talks About Quantum Leap & His Favorite Flower
- Exclusive: Behind the Scenes Footage of 2(X)IST’s Spring/Summer 2014 Collection
- Out's Best-Dressed Man of the Week: Jared Leto
- Spectrum: 14 Queer Models
- Rebel With Applause: Nicola Formichetti Is Tackling His Biggest Fashion Challenge Yet