We have Jeff Foxworthy and Dane Cook. They have Eddie Izzard and Graham Norton. We create Jake Shears, they steal him. Why, oh why, can't America produce (and retain) a mainstream, sexually-ambiguous entertainer, when Britain seems to just churn them out?
Last night found us on the couch with nothing to watch but the Brit Awards (on ondemand), the UK equivalent of the Grammys. The evening's host, a beanstalk of a man wearing tons of eyeliner and a bird's nest on his head, annoyed us at first. He seemed to race right past the jokes in his script, missing the writers' wit while doing his best Jack Sparrow imitation.
But Russell Brand is funny. Very funny, in a deranged loony-bin high-on-juju bees kind of way. By the time he off-announced Amy Winehouse's beehive-rockin' performance, we were thoroughly in Brand's thrall, looking for scraps of him at YouTube and Wikipedia.
Unfortunately, Brand says he ain't gay. On the bright side, you don't need to live in the UK to watch him do his thing. Check out "Brown Narnia" a riff on onanism that can definitely NOT be played at work!
Photo: Getty Images
- Exclusive: Behind the Scenes Footage of 2(X)IST’s Spring/Summer 2014 Collection
- Spectrum: 14 Queer Models
- Scott Bakula, Looking's Gay Daddy, Talks About Quantum Leap & His Favorite Flower
- The 30 Sexiest Gay Scenes In Film
- The 15 Sexiest Red-Haired Men
- How Devonte Hynes of Blood Orange Saved Pop Music