Can You Spot Michael Cunningham in Billy Hough's Latest Video?
By Jerry Portwood
Singer-songwriter Billy Hough has quite a following due to his upbeat and unusual live shows at the Grotta Bar in Provincetown every summer. But this unusual tale of gay love, betrayal, drag queens, booze, and blowjobs in the video for the song "Touralouralay" is quite an unusual take on the typical romantic ballad.
We asked Billy Hough about the unusual "short film" for the song, the fourth video they've made this with different filmmakers for the album Venice, and he explained that Chris Kelly made it using "iPhones only, with a budget of $0.00."
Pay attention to around the 3:14 minute mark you'll catch a cameo by author Michael Cunningham engaging in a silly bit of fun withe a boy below a table while he sips and smiles. So why did the Pulizer prize-winning author (The Hours) decide to join in the silliness?
"He's my best friend, and I've been dragging him onstage with me for years," Hough explained. He was in the previous video for 'Cry So Much'—mostly as a laugh. He's a great sport and has been so incredibly supportive of me and the band for years. And he's so handsome, I thought, Fuck it, let's get you into acting."
Watch the video for "Touralouralay" below:
- Dustin Lance Black Hits Back at Alma Mater For Shaming Him
- The Straight Gay World of MSNBC anchor & politics wonk Steve Kornacki
- 10 Transgender People Shattering Entertainment's Glass Ceiling
- The Final Member: A Long, Hard Look at the Weirdest Museum in the World
- Calpernia Adams: Tranny Is a Dumb Word But Don't Ban It
- The 30 Sexiest Gay Scenes In Film