LISTEN: Here’s A Snippet Of Lady Gaga’s ‘Mary Jane Holland’
By Alex Panisch
As of yet, ARTPOP has been very much a mixed bag. “Applause” is alright; not worth much more a than a slightly enthused golf clap. “Venus” only just breaks the stratosphere; and “Do What U Want” makes me want to go to bed…or correct her spelling. There hasn’t been that one breakout track—a “Bad Romance,” a “Paparazzi,” a “Judas,” or even a “The Ege of Glory”—that makes me want to fork over my $9.99.
“Mary Jane Holland” might just be that track. Dark, delightfully bewitching, and driven by fierce vocals, the song has shades of “Mary The Night” and “Heavy Metal Lover” and that’s a very good thing. While this might not be a chart topping single the way “Applause” was meant to be and though it lacks the impact of her more memorable singles, from what I can hear, “Mary Jane Holland” is solid track and hopefully a portent of what the rest of ARTPOP will sound like. But decide for yourself, listen to the track below:
ARTPOP comes out November 11.
- Beyoncé Liberated
- EXCLUSIVE: Beyoncé Debuts Free Remixes of 'Blow' & 'XO'
- Tom Ford and Richard Buckley Forever
- Dustin Lance Black Hits Back at Alma Mater For Shaming Him
- The Straight Gay World of MSNBC anchor & politics wonk Steve Kornacki
- 10 Transgender People Shattering Entertainment's Glass Ceiling
- Team Bey