Need to Know: The Maccabees
By Jerry Portwood
The guys in The Maccabees are cute, but don't think that means they don't have some serious talent. The band released its fourth studio album, Into the Wild, this spring—which includes impressive album artwork by Andy Goldsworthy—as well as a heady mix of eclectic pop references, psychedelia, and soulful guitar. It's music that is both hummable and may make you want to dance. We spoke to frontman Orlando Weeks and drummer Sam Doyle in our studio recently for this Face to Face interview. We learned that there's nothing Jewish about the band's name (it was just randomly selected from someone's Bible), and a few of their influences when writing songs.
Look out for the boys to open for Florence and the Machine this fall as well as headling a few more North American dates. Check out the site for more details and tour dates. Plus, you can download the song "Go" from the album here.
- The pill Truvada can prevent HIV: So why are so few gay men taking it?
- Quote of the Day: Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional
- EastSiders Web Series Lands A Satellite Award Nomination
- Open Letter: Greg Louganis Congratulates Tom Daley For Coming Out
- Croatia Proves Why It Has The Hottest Men's Water Polo Team
- Gay Men's Chorus Performs Parody of Joe Boxer Christmas Ad