Is Wham! About to Reunite?
By Joseph Alexiou
Update: According to the Guardian, the George Michael's spokeswoman http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/jun/20/wham-reunion-denied-george-m... ">denied that there was any possibility of a Wham! reunion, and the Daily Mirror story was merely a rumor. Too bad! Michael will release "White Light," his new single, on June 29th instead of the reunion.
"Wham Rap!" was the first hit from Wham!—the sparkly and incorrigable 80's BritPop band that competed for stardom with the likes of Duran Duran and Culture Club—and it debuted 30 years ago this month (on June 29, to be exact).
How fitting, then, that the Daily Mirror reports that George Michael and Andrew Ridgeley wants to reunite and throw a "one-off pop extravaganza" to commemorate the event, "...and an even bigger party afterwards!"
According to a nameless insider, "They probably won't do a long tour or release new material," which makes us sad, but perhaps once Ridgeley gets a taste of the high life again, perhaps he'll change his mind—he lives a "quiet life" in Cornwall (amazing) with partner Keren Woodward of Bananrama (even more amazing), but Michael is still going strong, roaming around England with his Symphonica tour, full orchestra in tow.
So hopefully they'll come to their senses and see the amazing potential for success that a Wham! reunion tour could have. In the meantime, here's GM's "True Faith" video to get you excited:
- The 30 Sexiest Gay Scenes In Film
- Straight Actor Raúl Castillo Plays Richie on Looking: He Talks About the New HBO Series
- WATCH: The First Trailer For HBO's Adaptation Of 'The Normal Heart'
- Model Watch: Adonis Bosso & Juan Betancourt in 'Horizon'
- Casting Net: MTV's Awkward Adds 2 New Gay Characters
- Quote of the Day: Brad Pitt's Musk Smells Better Than Your Cologne