SLIDESHOW: Transsexual Hookers of New York's Meatpacking District
By William Van Meter
In the not so distant past, before Manhattan's Meatpacking District became known as MePa and was the home to gross loser clubs and limousine gridlock, the neighborhood was ground zero for transsexual hookers.
There was the sex club J’s Hangout and the killer tiny underground concert venue The Cooler and a bagel factory and that’s about it.
The bagel place would throw the bagels out at night onto the sidewalk (maybe to feed rats?) so the sidewalks were filled with transsexual prostitutes stomping on bagels in their stilettos. It really was a majestic scene, and much more fun.
Here is a selection of images of a neighborhood when it had personality.
- 10 Things We Learned from Neil Patrick Harris
- Neil Patrick Harris: His Metamorphosis From Doogie to Barney to Hedwig
- WATCH: The Frozen Honest Trailer Starring Adele Dazeem
- Neil Patrick Harris: Glitter & Glam
- 15 Most Ridiculous Real Housewives Taglines Ever
- Scott Bakula, Looking's Gay Daddy, Talks About Quantum Leap & His Favorite Flower