SLIDESHOW: Transsexual Hookers of New York's Meatpacking District
By William Van Meter
In the not so distant past, before Manhattan's Meatpacking District became known as MePa and was the home to gross loser clubs and limousine gridlock, the neighborhood was ground zero for transsexual hookers.
There was the sex club J’s Hangout and the killer tiny underground concert venue The Cooler and a bagel factory and that’s about it.
The bagel place would throw the bagels out at night onto the sidewalk (maybe to feed rats?) so the sidewalks were filled with transsexual prostitutes stomping on bagels in their stilettos. It really was a majestic scene, and much more fun.
Here is a selection of images of a neighborhood when it had personality.
- WATCH: Oscar Isaac Performs Folk Version of Katy Perry's 'Roar'
- A Pope is Person of the Year: Edie Windsor is No. 3
- WATCH: Detox, Willam and Vicky Vox Sing Naughty Christmas Song
- The pill Truvada can prevent HIV: So why are so few gay men taking it?
- Meet the Queens of 'RuPaul's Drag Race' Season 6
- Daily Crush: The Heritage Sweater by L.L.Bean