Inside Copenhagen's ARKEN Museum
By Andrew Belonsky
(Image by Wolfgang Tillmans)
We've already explored the titillating public art that peppers Copenhagen, so now it's time to delve into one of the city's many museums, the ARKEN Museum of Modern Kunst. That's Danish for art.
The museum's revolving exhibitions always arouse reaction — the current celebration of the spectacular German artist Anselm Reyle is sure to bemuse— but its permanent collection's no less astounding. From the confounding to the confrontational, the intimate to the outlandish, these images, the photographers, painters, sculptors and risk-takers whose work lives within ARKEN's walls is some of the world's best.
Here, a look at some of ARKEN's works by the iconoclastic Andres Serrano, contemplative Olafur Eliasson and voyeuristic Wolfgang Tillmans (whose Adam, Vest & Cat is pictured above), and more.
- The Straight Gay World of MSNBC anchor & politics wonk Steve Kornacki
- Dustin Lance Black Hits Back at Alma Mater For Shaming Him
- 10 Transgender People Shattering Entertainment's Glass Ceiling
- Calpernia Adams: Tranny Is a Dumb Word But Don't Ban It
- The 30 Sexiest Gay Scenes In Film
- The Revolution Will Be Harmonized