The best new colognes are bold enough to endure the occasional blistering days of an Indian summer but also possess enough citrus to stay fresh and free. Haute perfumer Serge Lutens and Gap are scent liberators, introducing what they call antifragrances: unobtrusive creations that accentuate rather than mask one's natural smell. On the more assertive side, the gingery clean Burberry Sport and sandalwood patchouli Gucci Sport have the wherewithal to withstand even the latest nights out, while Comme des Gar'ons has collaborated with artist Jun Takahashi's Undercover line to create a pair of compelling mother-and-child unisex scents. Holygrace, the mother half, smells of soap and bergamot but doesn't domineer Holygrapie, a playful rhubarb confection.
1. Burberry Sport by Burberry, $72, 2.5 ounces
2. Prada Infusion de Vetiver by Prada, $100, 3.4 ounces
3. Gap Core by Gap, $35, 3.4 ounces
4. L'eau Serge Lutens by Serge Lutens, $150, 3.4 ounces
5. Gucci Sport Pour Homme by Gucci, $73, 3.1 ounces
6. Holygrace by Undercover by Comme des Gar'ons, $125, 1.7 ounces