By Jason Lamphier
Yet it is RocknRolla�s men-behaving-very-badly scenarios that infuse the flick with a high dose of queerness. In Ritchie�s louche criminal underworld, Handsome Bob and One Two are chased by two teeth-gnashing Russian thugs, one of whom ends up shirtless, his chiseled abs covered in sweat and blood. Several scenes later, when the mobsters pay a surprise visit to One Two�s house, sporting S/M-style leather gear to bind and gag him in his bedroom, it�s not clear whether they want to kill him or screw him.
That�s not to say the film -- a slick blend of sex, drugs, and rock �n� roll -- doesn�t have its gentler moments. At one point One Two even finds himself embracing Handsome Bob, surrounded by a pack of swishy dancers at a salsa club. �During our lessons these really gay dancers were trying to put it on Butler,� says Hardy. �They just made me want to snuggle Gerard a bit tighter, lick his top lip a bit.�
RocknRolla is in theaters nationwide October 31.
- The SAG Awards' Queer Quotient
- Decorate Your Christmas Tree With Shirtless Mermen Ornaments
- The pill Truvada can prevent HIV: So why are so few gay men taking it?
- Erasure's Andy Bell On the Magic & Melancholy of Christmas
- Meet the Queens of 'RuPaul's Drag Race' Season 6
- Zachary Quinto Models For Mr Porter