A Rosie by any other name...
By Michael Musto
How did this production come about?
When I was doing Frankie and Johnny, Terrence said, 'I've got to write you a play.' I said, 'Please do, and hurry up.' He said, 'I don't know what to write. You're not what people think you are. You're so sensitive.' I said, 'Throw that out the window. I don't care.' I told Joe about this, and he said, 'I've got the perfect one for you: The Ritz! You know it's politically incorrect.' I said, 'Right up my alley!' Everyone's a stereotype -- the Italians, the gays, the straights. If you get offended, you're not a human being or you need therapy or both.
Have you talked to the original Googie, Rita Moreno?
I called her and said, 'I'm asking for your blessing. I've got big shoes to fill.' She said, 'Bullshit. You can do this. Just remember that Googie is a real person and you'll win...and change your fucking cell phone message. It's fucking rude.' And she hung up on me! I don't think it's rude at all. It says, 'This is R.P. Please don't leave a long, irritating message, and I'll get back to you when I feel like it. Have a blessed day and God bless you.' Don't you hate when people ramble on and on?
- Go Behind The Scenes Of Neil Patrick Harris's Glitter-Filled Photo Shoot
- Neil Patrick Harris: His Metamorphosis From Doogie to Barney to Hedwig
- 10 Qs: Billy Eichner Wants to Marry Meryl Streep and Get Down With Judi Dench
- Neil Patrick Harris: Glitter & Glam
- 10 Things We Learned from Neil Patrick Harris
- EXCLUSIVE: Elton John Performing Benny and the Jets During Concert Film Million Dollar Piano