The Beautiful Fall: Lagerfeld, Saint Laurent, and Glorious Excess in 1970s Paris
By Alicia Drake
Chapter 6: 1971
As homosexuality bounded forth with delight from the smoking ruins of an authoritarian society, so there was a new perception of homosexuality within fashion. Up until now fashion and homosexuality's interdependence had been conducted on furtive and euphemistic terms. Homosexual couturiers such as Monsieur Dior and Monsieur Balenciaga had 'friends,' not lovers. Saint Laurent and Berg' were one of the first homosexual couples in fashion to live and work openly as such. From now on in fashion, as Maxime de la Falaise remembers, 'It was the period of homosexual outage. Suddenly they were the fabulous ones, they were the attractive ones; no straight man was attractive.'
- Beyoncé Liberated
- EXCLUSIVE: Beyoncé Debuts Free Remixes of 'Blow' & 'XO'
- Tom Ford and Richard Buckley Forever
- Dustin Lance Black Hits Back at Alma Mater For Shaming Him
- The Straight Gay World of MSNBC anchor & politics wonk Steve Kornacki
- 10 Transgender People Shattering Entertainment's Glass Ceiling
- The 8th Annual Power 50