So youre stressed out. You have a lot on your mind and even more on your plate. What can you do? Aside from pummeling the next person who pisses you off, there are other ways to alleviate the combination of anxiety, anger, anticipation, and agitation that combine to form STRESS. We realize that not all of these may be considered healthy options, but, hey, if it works
1) Hit the gym. This is probably the most obvious choice, and if your gym has a big punching bag that you can beat the crap out of, even better. Cardio is also a great way to burn the stress out of your body. Get on a Stairmaster and set it for a notch more resistant than youre used to.
2) Have one cocktail. OK, so this would be a non-healthy option. When we say one cocktail, we are not suggesting you wash it down with three more. We also do not advocate doing this every day. However, the truth is, after an awful day, one cocktail really can take the edge off.
3) Watch Desperate Housewives. Viewing this show (even as it is about to enter repeats for the summer) helps relieve stress on several levels. First, you will get so caught up in the seven thousand storylines, you will not be able to think about the things that are bothering you. Second, you will see that no matter how bad your life is, you couldnt possibly be carrying the baby of your gardener while your super-rich husband leaves you penniless as he is hauled off to prison. Really, your problems seem minute, right?
4) Make a list. Sometimes by writing about the things that are stressing you out, they lose their power over you. Writing a list gives you control over the issues, so they wont control you.
5) Talk to a friend. Thats why you have them, right? Well, its hopefully not the only reason, but friends can be great listeners. Sharing all the stuff going around in your head will not only help you release some of your pent-up tension, but your friend may offer a fresh perspective on your situation. Please note, when we say friend, we do not mean pet. Telling your dog your troubles could possibly help you feel better, but if they are able to offer you fresh perspective, you may have followed suggestion Number 2 once too many!