Will Sicily Have Its First Gay Governor?
By Out.com Editors
The Guardian reports that Rosario Crocetta looks set to become the first gay governor of Sicily in southern Italy. Crocetta is a devoted Catholic and has claimed that southern Italy is surprisingly relaxed about gay politicians. "There is a great respect for the individual, making it less homophobic than the north," he's stated.
Crocetta seems pretty fearless, reportedly surviving several mafia plots to kill him and says coming out gave him a feeling of liberation. He's also said a surprising number of the Cosa Nostra are in fact gay.
"The idea that the mafia is all church, home and shotguns makes me laugh," he said.
- WATCH: The First Trailer For HBO's Adaptation Of 'The Normal Heart'
- Scott Bakula, Looking's Gay Daddy, Talks About Quantum Leap & His Favorite Flower
- Exclusive: Behind the Scenes Footage of 2(X)IST’s Spring/Summer 2014 Collection
- Spectrum: 14 Queer Models
- Gay Fashion Blog - What Truman Says Goes
- The 30 Sexiest Gay Scenes In Film